Frequently Asked Questions
You are in Good Company
This is personal accident insurance which covers death or bodily injury to passengers being conveyed in passenger carrying vehicles caused by an accident.
All owners and operators of Passenger Public Service vehicles operating in Zimbabwe. It is a statutory requirement.
- Death – $2,000
- Permanent Disablement in accordance Disablement Schedule of the National Social Security Authority – $2,000
- Medical or Funeral Expenses as the direct result of the event If the claimant is a member of any medical aid society the insurer will only consider paying the shortfalls incurred by the claimant. – $350
- Where the injured person is a child the compensation payable for death or permanent
disablement is reduced to: (i) Where the child is six years of age or younger – $200
- Where the child is fourteen years of age or younger but over the age of six years – $300
The standard premium is $15 per passenger per year and the premium is required upfront. The premium can be paid termly (i.e. every 4 months) or on an annual basis.
The cover can be purchased by the vehicle owner directly from any operating registered short term insurance company which is a member of the Insurance Council of Zimbabwe.
All claim documentation should be sent to the insurance company which issued the policy by the owners or operators of the vehicle. The claim documents required are the claim form, death certificate, medical invoices, police report, and doctor’s report depending on the nature of the claim. The insurer in turn submits the claim documentation to the Insurance Council of Zimbabwe for processing.
The PSV operator?
- The operator will be in breach of a statutory requirement. A route authority cannot be obtained without fulfilling this requirement.
- The operator may be liable to prosecution or a fine by the law enforcement agents.
- There is no insurance compensation available to the passenger or the family of the affected person(s). In the absence of this cover the person(s) claiming will have to seek compensation directly from the operator
It is important to check that the passenger carrying vehicle has a disc displayed on the windscreen confirming the passenger insurance cover, the details of the insurer that issued the Policy and the period of validity.